Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Road Trip - Day 5 - Giants-D'backs and Tommy Bahamas - Monday, September 6th

This morning when Jeff woke up at 6:30 to work out in Arizona, it was already 90 degrees out! Woo-eee!!! Once Eliana and I were up, we took her swimming in the salt water pool for the first time.


She was unsure at first, but ended up loving it. I think her favorite part was having both parents' undivided attention the whole time. She was great. I want to sign her up for real swim lessons soon so she gets used to the pool.

This day was our trip to Chase Field. I was worried about the heat and Eliana's fair skin. She easily gets heat rash :(  But, Guess What??? Chase Field has a retractable roof! I'd never been in a stadium like that and was looking forward to it. We didn't have tickets to this game and were planning on getting the best available when we arrived.

When we got to the ballpark, a sketchy scalper offered us two tickets for $30 each, the "best tickets in the house", regularly $50. After a little chat, Jeff agreed to the tickets. When we walked into the stadium, I was very impressed. The roof was closed, and it was a nice 75ish degrees (the kids who ended up sitting behind us were complaining it was too cold). This place was gorgeous. It looked brand-new and felt like a night game. I was immediately in love. You walk into the stadium above the lower section of seats, so we had to walk down to our seats. The sketchy scalper guy was right, they were great seats! Especially for $30! I was a happy girl. The guy sitting two rows behind us said the stadium is even nicer when the roof is open. We'll have to go back some year in April.

I had a meatball sandwich for lunch, and Jeff had sausage with onions. Great ballpark food. It reminded me of a recent episode of Top Chef :)

This ended up being a great game: 0-0 through 10 innings. Some people may find that boring, but I love a good pitching duel. Eliana was getting worried.

Finally, in the 11th, Schierholtz hit a two-run triple. Woo hoo! The Giants were up 2-0! Brian Wilson came in a finished it up for a Giants win!!! We were now 1-1 on our road trip.

Eliana and I were pretty excited about the win.

For dinner, we decided to go to Tommy Bahama. We'd never been there before, but thought it would be adult enough to make us happy but also family-friendly. We were right!
http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Restaurants.jsp

Tommy Bahama restaurant is at a fancy outdoor mall. It felt a little like Santana Row with nice shops and apartments over the stores. The downstairs of the restaurant is a bar and patio area. Upstairs has a large bar and the dining area. We were seated upstairs. It was a little dark, which could have made it feel romantic, but we already had a fussy baby on our hands. There were palapa ceiling fans to give the restaurant a tropical feel. Usually, Eliana is impressed with ceiling fans, but not this night.

We started our meal with regular bread and butter, but the butter was amazing! It was blended with brown sugar and honey and tasted like something you would have at Sunday brunch. I loved it! We ordered Coconut Shrimp and Chicken Wings for appetizers. The wings were pretty good, but a little on the spicy side. The coconut shrimp were ok. I like different textures in my coconut shrimp, but all this had was a dense mushy texture, like it had been fried earlier in the day and had simply been heated up before being served. The papaya-mango chutney dipping sauce was great, but I wouldn't order the dish again.

Jeff ordered the flat-iron steak with mashed potatoes for his entree. Both he and Eliana were very happy. The meat was prepared perfectly, raw... I mean, rare. And the garlic mashed potatoes were chunky and delicious. I had the ahi tuna with bok choy and Island rice. Wow, incredible! I would eat this dish again! Instead of feeling like we were in 95 degree Arizona, I felt like we were in 85 degree Hawaii. I was happy with my little family.

Eliana wasn't so happy. She had stopped eating baby food a few days earlier in our trip and only wanted our food. This was fine, we were willing to share. But, once she finished eating her dinner, she was done. She did not want to sit at the table anymore. Since Jeff is a much faster eater than I am, he finished his food and walked around with her while I was able to finish my dinner in silence. What a great guy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment